Create a strong and random username
The statistics don’t lie. Recent data shows that cybersecurity hacks are happening more frequently, with username and email addresses targeted as well. Creating a secure username can be a big first step to protecting your information online. And that’s what the LastPass username generator tool does!
How a Username Generator adds an extra security layer
Many individuals use the same online username across multiple platforms and websites, from Gmail accounts to banking websites. One exposure to a person’s username can open the door to identity theft.
Remember Snapchat’s 2014 data breach? It affected 4.6 million usernames and mobile numbers. Although no passwords or email addresses were exposed, Snapchat still encouraged users to create new usernames and passwords. Using a randomized username is like having two passwords for an account because it makes it harder for someone to guess your username and break in.
It’s easy! Just use the username generator above to create a secure username that you can save safely in LastPass.
The best username tips from the pros
- Email usernames and bank account usernames should be different.
- Never use your SSN as a username.
- Decide if your username protects your identity or can be public.
- Create a username that is simple enough to remember but hard to guess - and store it in your password manager.
- Avoid using familiar numbers with your usernames, such as an address or birth dates.